Welcome to my Foodie Blog

I'm a beginner cook with a very very supportive husband as my kitchen assistant.
My foodie blog is where I will share my simple and no fuss recipes that my husband and I like and absolutely easy to try... At least we have tried.
I also love taking picture of the food so here it goes... a combination of cooking and photography... Enjoy

Love, Helena Rijoly - Matakupan

Friday, May 25, 2012

Pumpkin Pie


Alright, April -May theme to Masak Bareng Yuuk events is Pie or Tart. To my dismay and almost heartbreaking on the idea that I might not be able to participate solely because I have no cooking gadgets to make this. (living in a rented room with no kitchen and rely only on my rice cooker. We are still on our surviving mode living heheheh).So I decided to have a go and submit the one I made sometime ago when we were still in UK. I have never post it on my blog so... can we consider this a legit entry... pleaseeeee

So here it is... My entry for MasBar April-May edition of Pie or Tart

This was my first time baking either pie or pumpkin pie. I wasn't sure if it will turned out well. But for the sake of new experience and the use of the abundance of pumpkin in British Autumn, I decided to have a go. it was also in the spirit of helping others as I made this dish to be sold on our Indonesian Dissaster Appeal organized by us, the Indonesian Students in Brighton, UK. That time it was the earthquake in Indonesia (hmmm... lupa baru2 itu dimana ya)... So to my delight, the pumpkin pie turned out great, taste yummy and sold out... Hahahah what more can I asked.

Source: Simply Recipe

INGREDIENTS:

2 cups of pumpkin pulp purée from a sugar pumpkin* or from canned pumpkin purée - I use fresh pumpkin that I steamed and purée in food processor.
1 (12oz). can of evaporated milk
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/3 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs plus the yolk of a third egg
2 teaspoons of cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamon
1/2 teaspoon of lemon zest
1 good crust - I use 2 small store bought ready-made crust (lazy huh?!)

DIRECTIONS:
1. To make the pumpkin puree: cut pumpkin to quarters. About the size of half of your palm. Put it on a steamer and steam it for 15 minutes or until soft. Transfer to food processor and blitzed until puréed. Then measured it up to 2 cups that is needed. The leftovers if any can be use to make creamy pumpkin soup. - not: I add a pinch of salt and sugar to it.
2. Preheat oven to 425°F.
3. Mix sugars, salt, and spices, and lemon zest in a large bowl. Beat the eggs and add to the bowl. Stir in the pumpkin purée. Stir in cream. Whisk all together until well incorporated.
4. Pour into pie shell and bake at 425°F for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes reduce the temperature to 350°F. Bake 40-50 minutes, or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
5. Meanwhile quick toast some walnut to be scattered on top of the pie.
6. Cool on a wire rack for 2 hours.
7. Serve with dollops of whipped cream And a sprinkle of ground cinnamon

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails